Places of Worship
Within Crickhowell and the surrounding community there are several different denomonational places of worship to join or to visit. St. Edmund’s is the Parish Church of Crickhowell within the St Catwg Ministry area. Other churches within the Ministry include Cwmdu, Tretower, Llangattock, Llangynidr, Llangenny, Llanbedr, Partricio, Brynmawr, Llanelly & Gilwern. Crickhowell's Evangelical Church has regular services.
A tour of the 'Holy Valley' takes you from Crickhowell to four ancient churches within the Black Mountains -Partricio, Cwmyoy, Llanthony and Capel y Ffin. The tour can be turned into a scenic circular drive returning via Hay-on-Wye - pick up a guide (chargeable) from CRiC.
St Edmund’s is the Church in Wales Parish Church of Crickhowell situated close to the centre of the town
Crickhowell Evangelical Church, with James the minister are a diverse and happy blend of people – a family – from those in a car seat to those with a bus pass.
St Michael's Church - Cwmdu
The parish church of Llanfihangel Cwmdu, dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, is an imposing building in the village of Cwmdu, clearly visible from the A40 road from Crickhowell to Brecon in the panoramic view of the Rhiangoll valley.
For many years St Michael’s has been used as the venue for music concerts because of its excellent acoustics. In 2014 a charitable trust Friends of Cwmdu Music was established and it holds four concerts each year at St Michael’s, attracting musicians of the highest calibre.
St Peter's Church - Llanbedr
Nestled in the fold of the hills above Crickhowell is the Village of Llanbedr. With ancient yew trees and a warm welcome into the Church of Wales, all are welcome.
St Catwg Church - Llangattock
Llangattock is near Crickhowell in the Brecon Beacons. The church is in the centre of the old part of the village (Postcode NP8 1PH). Llangattock Church is an ancient foundation, dating back to the 6th century. The present building dates back to medieval times. The old churchyard is surrounded by a wall and contains two ancient yew trees. Although some grave stones were removed in the late 70s because they were unsafe, there are many old graves, even some from the 18th Century.
St Cennau's Church - Llangenny
St Cenau, Llangenny is part of the Vale of Grwyne parish, an amalgamation of three former parishes, Llangenny, Llanbedr and Patricio. All three churches generally follow a traditional anglican style of worship.
St Cenau’s is of medical origin and is dedicated to St Cenau who is reputed to have established a small church near a healing well nearby. It is situated on the bank of the Grwyne river. Over the centuries the church has served a rural population and in later years, the communities that grew around the paper mills that developed along the river.
Church of St. Cynidr & St. Mary - Llangynidr
Llangynidr Parish Church stands in the middle of its now-closed graveyard in the upper part of Llangynidr village. There has been a place of Christian worship on the site probably since the sixth century but a fire in 1928 necessitated a re-build. It is therefore a relatively ‘young’, plain building and so the only non-listed church in the Ministry Area. Nevertheless, its smallness and uncluttered interior elicits many comments about how peaceful and welcoming it feels inside. The church is usually open from 9.00am to 4.00pm.
St Elli's Church - Llanelly & Gilwern
St Elli’s is the Anglican (Church in Wales) church which serves not only the village of Gilwern but also the wider Clydach Gorge area including Maes Y Gwartha, Clydach , Llanelly Hill and lots of places in between. The lovely, historic church is on the hillside above Gilwern and Clydach.
The church is also served by a modern building, St Elli’s Parish Centre, on Abergavenny Road in Gilwern. The Parish Centre has a well-fitted kitchen and toilets including disabled facilities and baby-changing unit. It is wheelchair accessible and available for hire with a small car park and also a public car park close by.
Church services mainly follow the traditional Church in Wales pattern but on the first Sunday of each month there is a more informal service of Family Matins in the Parish Centre. The Parish Centre is also used for all Sunday services in January and February. There is also a Sunday School which runs during school term time.
St John's Church - Tretower
There has been a chapel on the present site in Tretower since 1234. History blurs somewhat until 1705 when the church was in need of major repair. By then it was known as a ‘Chapel-of-Ease’ to the mother church of St Michael’s Cwmdu. The church remained under the patronage of the Vaughan family of Tretower Court until 1786. The late 18th Century saw some prosperity thanks to Queen Anne’s Bounty, who had bought land and farms in the area.
The church was re-consecrated in 1877 and a district assigned to it – The Parish of Tretower. No longer a Chapel-of-Ease it became St John’s Tretower.
Abergavenny Baptist Church
Abergavenny Baptist church is a thriving place of worship for all ages. Services are every Sunday at 10am. Children most welcome.
Frogmore Street, Abergavenny, NP7 5AL
St Michaels Catholic Church - Brecon
One of the most historic churches in the Diocese of Menevia. Mass is taken at 11am every Sunday.